Re: feasibilty question: simple GUI for web-based Lilypond instance

From: Jahrme Risner
Subject: Re: feasibilty question: simple GUI for web-based Lilypond instance
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 22:02:28 +0000

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 13:35, Kieren MacMillan <kieren_macmillan@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

> Hi Jonas,
>
>> Proper collaboration tools aren't easy either, but there are solutions
>> like Etherpad. It's open and can be enhanced with plugins, so would a
>> collaborative text editor with a (possibly autorefreshing) preview from
>> LilyPond constitute as a GUI for your scenario?
>
> The app/site *must* allow entry of notes using either a MIDI keyboard or a
> "Quick Entry" (mouse-click) type UI; drag-and-drop would obviously be a
> bonus, but is hardly necessary.
>
>> No autocompletion though
>
> Don’t need that. In fact, in a “perfect” world, the students wouldn’t even
> see the .ly code. ;)

Depending on the level of concurrency your students need when editing, a
relatively low-tech option might be students using Frescobaldi locally on their
computers with the LilyPond files saved to a shared destination (e.g., an sftp
server or some DropBox-like service) so that students could collaborate. This
wouldn’t really work for completely simultaneous editing, but I’ve known
colleagues who took a similar approach when collaborating on LaTeX documents
and they didn’t have too many problems.