Re: feasibilty question: simple GUI for web-based Lilypond instance

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: feasibilty question: simple GUI for web-based Lilypond instance
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 22:51:59 -0400

Hi Karlin,

> I'm understanding this use case wants...
> * No-code GUI music entry
> * Runs in a web browser
> * Allows collaborative editing

Right.

> I'm having trouble imagining what "collaborative editing" would look like in
> a "No-code GUI." Something like PDF commenting? Has anything like that ever
> been seen in the LilyPond ecosystem? Paolo Prete's Spontini-Editor might be
> the closest thing I can remember.

I’m thinking of Spontini+Lilybin: there’s a basic Javascript UI to add/delete
elements (notes, rests, etc.), on top of a server-based Lilypond instance where
the code is saved in successive versions (cf. Lilybin).

1. The student works on the file for a while by themselves.
2. They send me a link to the current version (e.g.,
guilily.com/wpeouryckjhg/7).
3. I log in and edit the file, and sent them back the "current" link (e.g.,
guilily.com/wpeouryckjhg/9).
4. We can both see the current version, and one of us can edit and save a new
"current" version.

To my mind, lilybin already solves the "collaborative editing" part
sufficiently for my needs (and, I’m guessing, the needs of most music educators
I know). The only real gap right now is the GUI. I’m trying to figure out how
much work would be required to make a Javascript (or something better?) "app"
that edits Lily code.

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)