Re: feasibilty question: simple GUI for web-based Lilypond instance

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: feasibilty question: simple GUI for web-based Lilypond instance
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 21:50:14 +0200

Am Freitag, den 23.10.2020, 10:34 +0200 schrieb Jean Abou Samra:
> Le 23/10/2020 à 02:45, Kieren MacMillan a écrit :
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I’m teaching a musical theatre creation course at a college. I’ve been
> > teaching the course for about 4 years, but the philosophy recently changed
> > from one where I was a co-creator with the students (and hence did all of
> > the engraving for our collaborative songs) to a more traditional
> > instructor-student setup (where the students are now expected to generate
> > their own scores).
> >
> > The ~25 students in the class need to engrave their own music; but they’re
> > starving students/artists, and we aren’t going to ask them to buy licenses
> > for any engraving app. (Of course, if they already have something, or
> > evolve to the point they need to buy one, that would be up to them!)
> >
> > Looking at the ecosystem of “free” music engraving applications (e.g.,
> > NoteFlight, MuseScore, Dorico SE), I realise that what is really lacking is
> > a web-accessible engraving application with a [Javascript?] GUI, capable of
> > generating reasonably simple but attractive scores of relatively limited
> > complexity (e.g., piano-vocal scores with chords) and supporting
> > collaborative editing over the network — think lilybin.com with a GUI.
> > Especially given how much education has moved — and will likely now remain
> > — online, I see this gap as a real opportunity to potentially promote
> > Lilypond in education.
> >
> > How difficult would it be to build a “Quick Note Entry” GUI that could work
> > on a served copy of Lilypond?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Kieren.
> > ________________________________
> >
> > Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
> > ‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info
> > ‣ email: kieren@kierenmacmillan.info
>
> Hi Kieren,
>
> As far as I know, this would be rather hard. However, you could have
> a look at https://hacklily.org/. It's text-based, but there's a note
> entry mode with a little GUI. If you ask the author very kindly,
> you might obtain some functionality for collaborative editing.

Proper collaboration tools aren't easy either, but there are solutions
like Etherpad. It's open and can be enhanced with plugins, so would a
collaborative text editor with a (possibly autorefreshing) preview from
LilyPond constitute as a GUI for your scenario? No autocompletion
though and no GUI like hacklily.org...

Jonas