RE: Compiling from LilyDev

From: lilypond
Subject: RE: Compiling from LilyDev
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 07:12:11 +0200

This is the second time I send this message.

I did not receive it back the first time, so to be sure.

to point there, right?

> Second, I'm getting an error on three other steps, all referring to a

> missing kpsewhich file or folder:

> checking for metapost required files... lstat(./kpsewhich) failed ...

> ./kpsewhich: No such file or directory

> kpsewhich: ../../../texk/kpathsea/progname.c:316: remove_dots:

> Assertion `ret' failed.

> no

> [...]

> checking for epsf.tex... lstat(./kpsewhich) failed ...

> ./kpsewhich: No such file or directory

> kpsewhich: ../../../texk/kpathsea/progname.c:316: remove_dots:

> Assertion `ret' failed.

> not found

> checking for Cyrillic characters support in TeX... lstat(./kpsewhich)
failed ...

> ./kpsewhich: No such file or directory

> kpsewhich: ../../../texk/kpathsea/progname.c:316: remove_dots:

> Assertion `ret' failed.

> not found

> This causes an error later on:

> ERROR: Please install required programs:  metapost CTAN package

> (texlive-metapost) epsf.tex lh CTAN package (texlive-lang-cyrillic or

> texlive-texmf-fonts)

> ...even though they are installed.

> I don't really know what kpeswitch is supposed to do, so... does

> anyone know what went wrong?

> ----------

> Response from Carl Sorensen:

> Owen,

> Great job working through all this!  Getting LilyPond compiling can be a
bear.

> LilyDev used to work completely out-of-the-box, but it seems like as

> we've tried to make it a smaller install, it's not so foolproof.

> Kpsewhich is part of the TeX system -- it's a utility that searches

> the kpathsea paths to find files.  But I don't know how to fix the

> problem in your copy of LilyDev.

> Federico Bruni is probably the most knowledgeable person on LilyDev.

> I've added him to the responses on this email.

> Sorry I'm not more help.

> Carl

Carl,

I just created a new machine from the LilyDev image.

I created a Hyper-V machine instead of a virtual box image, but for the
matter of your problem that should not be a problem.

I can run ../configure without a problem, and did run make.

So the LilyDev image is  correct.

I have no environment variable $METAFONT, so that is not needed.

Just to be sure you did not forget a major step:

Did you run ~/install.sh?

(http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/contributor/lilydev installing
lilydev point 14 Did you run autogen.sh --noconfigure while in the
$LILYPOND_GIT folder?

Did you run ../configure while in the $LILYPOND_GIT folder?

Is the value of $LILYPOND_GIT (echo $LILYPOND_GIT) lilypond-git?

(This is set so in ~/setup.sh)

One more point: During setup.sh you need a stable internet connection.

I hope this all helps you

Jaap de Wolff