Compiling from LilyDev

From: Owen Lamb
Subject: Compiling from LilyDev
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 19:49:49 -0700

Hi all,

I've hit a couple roadblocks trying to compile LilyPond from LilyDev as per
the instructions on the website(
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/contributor/compiling-with-lilydev),
both during the "Preparing the build" step where ../configure is run.

First, the environment variable $METAFONT wasn't defined, making the Checking
for metafont mode... step fail. I set it to the value I thought it would
need, the executable at /usr/bin/mf. That seemed to fix the issue, but I
just wanted to make sure--the variable *is *supposed to point there, right?

Second, I'm getting an error on three other steps, all referring to a
missing kpsewhich file or folder:

checking for metapost required files... lstat(./kpsewhich) failed ...
./kpsewhich: No such file or directory
kpsewhich: ../../../texk/kpathsea/progname.c:316: remove_dots: Assertion
`ret' failed.
no
[...]
checking for epsf.tex... lstat(./kpsewhich) failed ...
./kpsewhich: No such file or directory
kpsewhich: ../../../texk/kpathsea/progname.c:316: remove_dots: Assertion
`ret' failed.
not found
checking for Cyrillic characters support in TeX... lstat(./kpsewhich)
failed ...
./kpsewhich: No such file or directory
kpsewhich: ../../../texk/kpathsea/progname.c:316: remove_dots: Assertion
`ret' failed.
not found

This causes an error later on:
ERROR: Please install required programs:  metapost CTAN package
(texlive-metapost) epsf.tex lh CTAN package (texlive-lang-cyrillic or
texlive-texmf-fonts)
...even though they are installed.

I don't really know what kpeswitch is supposed to do, so... does anyone
know what went wrong?

Thanks,
Owen