Re: Compiling from LilyDev

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Compiling from LilyDev
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 03:43:18 +0000

On 5/10/20, 8:50 PM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Owen Lamb"
<lilypond-devel-bounces+c_sorensen=address@hidden on behalf of address@hidden>
wrote:

Hi all,

I've hit a couple roadblocks trying to compile LilyPond from LilyDev as per
the instructions on the website(
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/contributor/compiling-with-lilydev),
both during the "Preparing the build" step where ../configure is run.

First, the environment variable $METAFONT wasn't defined, making the Checking
for metafont mode... step fail. I set it to the value I thought it would
need, the executable at /usr/bin/mf. That seemed to fix the issue, but I
just wanted to make sure--the variable *is *supposed to point there, right?

Second, I'm getting an error on three other steps, all referring to a
missing kpsewhich file or folder:

checking for metapost required files... lstat(./kpsewhich) failed ...
./kpsewhich: No such file or directory
kpsewhich: ../../../texk/kpathsea/progname.c:316: remove_dots: Assertion
`ret' failed.
no
[...]
checking for epsf.tex... lstat(./kpsewhich) failed ...
./kpsewhich: No such file or directory
kpsewhich: ../../../texk/kpathsea/progname.c:316: remove_dots: Assertion
`ret' failed.
not found
checking for Cyrillic characters support in TeX... lstat(./kpsewhich)
failed ...
./kpsewhich: No such file or directory
kpsewhich: ../../../texk/kpathsea/progname.c:316: remove_dots: Assertion
`ret' failed.
not found

This causes an error later on:
ERROR: Please install required programs:  metapost CTAN package
(texlive-metapost) epsf.tex lh CTAN package (texlive-lang-cyrillic or
texlive-texmf-fonts)
...even though they are installed.

I don't really know what kpeswitch is supposed to do, so... does anyone
know what went wrong?

----------
Response from Carl Sorensen:

Owen,

Great job working through all this!  Getting LilyPond compiling can be a bear.
LilyDev used to work completely out-of-the-box, but it seems like as we've
tried to make it a smaller install, it's not so foolproof.

Kpsewhich is part of the TeX system -- it's a utility that searches the
kpathsea paths to find files.  But I don't know how to fix the problem in your
copy of LilyDev.

Federico Bruni is probably the most knowledgeable person on LilyDev.  I've
added him to the responses on this email.

Sorry I'm not more help.

Carl