Re: migration to GitLab

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: migration to GitLab
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 19:22:22 -0400

On May 10, 2020, at 18:51, Joram Noeck <address@hidden> wrote:

> as far as I understand (from experience with other projects), you can
> clone anonymously (and fetch without authentication then).
> If you want to be able to push, you need to authenticate and then you
> also need to authenticate for fetch or pull.
> A way around that is to use the ssh urls and use ssh keys. In
> combination with the ssh-agent, you can then enter your ssh key password
> only once and push and pull afterwards.

Thanks for the reply.  git configuration might be my problem, but I doubt it.
I've been using https to fetch and ssh to push to gnu.org repo for months
(using the pushInsteadOf option).  Now I'm trying to fetch from the new
lilypond repo with https and it prompts me for credentials.  I wonder if the
new repo is configured not to allow anonymous fetching.

    $ git remote -v
    . . .
    origin      https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond.git (fetch)
    origin      address@hidden:lilypond/lilypond.git (push)