Re: GUILE 2/3 and string encoding cost

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: GUILE 2/3 and string encoding cost
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 22:53:50 +0100

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 12:01 PM David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> > So, what hard data do we have on GUILE 2/3 slowness, and what does
> > that data say?
>
> That data says "humongous slowdown".  There is not much more than
> speculation what this is caused by as far as I know.

I can see the 2x slowdown, and it looks uniformly distributed over the
whole process. The GUILE 2.0 release

  https://lwn.net/Articles/428288/

has one big red flag for me.

  * Switch to the Boehm-Demers-Weiser garbage collector

  Guile now uses the Boehm-Demers-Weiser conservative garbage collector
  (aka. libgc).  It makes interaction with C code easier making, for
  instance, the use of mark and free SMOB procedures optional in many
  cases.  It also improves performance.

let me get out the profiler to see what is going on.