Re: GUILE 2/3 and string encoding cost

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: GUILE 2/3 and string encoding cost
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 22:32:40 +0100

Am Mi., 22. Jan. 2020 um 12:12 Uhr schrieb Thomas Morley
<address@hidden>:

> Am Mi., 22. Jan. 2020 um 12:02 Uhr schrieb David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> >
> > Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > > So, what hard data do we have on GUILE 2/3 slowness, and what does
> > > that data say?
> >
> > That data says "humongous slowdown".  There is not much more than
> > speculation what this is caused by as far as I know.
>
> I can't provide any insight here.
> Though, once I have a working LilyPond/guile-3, I'll test how
> "humongous" it will.
>
> A working LilyPond/guile-3 means: successfull make, make doc, make
> test-baseline.
> Currently only the first is done.

I've now got a successful ´make LANGS='' doc´

´make test-baseline´ still fails, as it did with all recent guile-versions.
Though, I don't understand why it does so. Compiling the docs will
return the regression-tests as html/pdf already.
So all files are already successfully compiled.
What's the difference?

Next I'll apply Han-Wen's patch about ly_scm_write_string
(Earlier I suspected ly_scm_write_string to be the problem)

Cheers,
  Harm