Re: GUILE 2/3 and string encoding cost

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: GUILE 2/3 and string encoding cost
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 10:51:58 +0100

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 10:22 AM Hans Åberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> Boehm GC can work in a background thread I think.  And Guile-v2
> >> applications typically just let all their data be treated as pointers
> >> rather than using a smob-marking algorithm like we do, and it is
> >> conceivable that Boehm GC's individual mark function does not scale.
> >>

> > Do you mean our mechanism to call user-defined mark functions? I doubt
> that
> > there are obvious BGC scalability problems in BGC's mark functoin.
>
> The Boehm GC collects in separate threads, however, when the program is
> threaded, it puts locks around every allocation, which is very time
> consuming

Are you sure? Multithreaded memory management usually has per-thread
strategies to avoid contention. Locking by itself is very cheap unless
there is contention. The docs I can find are

https://www.hboehm.info/gc/scale.html

but it talks about a 500Mhz Pentium 3 as the benchmark platform, so it's
probably out of date.