Re: Gub / Windows Subsystem for Linux

From: Knut Petersen
Subject: Re: Gub / Windows Subsystem for Linux
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 23:37:29 +0200

On 22.07.19 16:02, Karlin High wrote:

Hi everybody!

Has anybody tried to use GUB in the WSL environment?
I have in the past, but not recently. I think I did get a successful
build, but I forget which computer I was using, and can't guarantee it
was WSL and not VirtualBox or Microsoft Hyper-V. I definitely do have
a Debian WSL with a GUB stuck at the Mac PPC odcctools download.

Karlin, in January you reported a fail for this setup: 'Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
SP1, Intel Core i5-3450, VirtualBox 5.2.22r126460, VM with 1 CPU core, 4GB RAM,
64GB storage'

I am not sure this is a useful target when virtual Linux systems are
reasonably accessible.
I agree that it's not worth making changes to LilyPond to accommodate
Windows Susbsytem for Linux.

Do we still need to change anything? There is an Ubuntu 18.04 for WSL.

On a fresh minimal installation (native or chroot) of ubuntu 18.04 all that is
needed to install the required software and to build the installers, the
documentation etc is a simple sequence of less than a dozen commands:

As user 'root' execute:

   adduser --gecos "" gub
   apt-get --yes update
   apt-get --yes --no-install-recommends upgrade
   apt-get --yes --no-install-recommends install file git gcc g++
libc6-dev-i386 make texlive-metapost texlive-xetex unzip zip

As user gub execute:

   cd /home/gub
   git clone https://github.com/gperciva/gub.git
   cd /home/gub/gub
   mkdir regtests
   touch regtests/ignore
   make lilypond

I wonder if this also works on an Ubuntu 18.04 running on WSL.

We need more developers.

If it were much easier to compile Lilypond under Windows with WSL / Ubuntu 18 /
GUB than currently documented in our Contributor's Guide it would make the
hurdles to participate in development much lower for all those who use Windows.

Knut