Re: Gub / Windows Subsystem for Linux

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: Gub / Windows Subsystem for Linux
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 09:02:48 -0500

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 8:41 AM David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Knut Petersen <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Hi everybody!
> >
> > Has anybody tried to use GUB in the WSL environment?

I have in the past, but not recently. I think I did get a successful
build, but I forget which computer I was using, and can't guarantee it
was WSL and not VirtualBox or Microsoft Hyper-V. I definitely do have
a Debian WSL with a GUB stuck at the Mac PPC odcctools download.

And Microsoft has big changes coming for WSL, sounds like they plan to
include a full Linux kernel.

<https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/206236/windows-10-to-include-a-linux-kernel-for-wsl>

> I am not sure this is a useful target when virtual Linux systems are
> reasonably accessible.

I agree that it's not worth making changes to LilyPond to accommodate
Windows Susbsytem for Linux.

But WSL feels more native than virtualized. Some people may find it
preferable to a full VM and be willing to do extra setup to get WSL
running.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA