Re: Gub / Windows Subsystem for Linux

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Gub / Windows Subsystem for Linux
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 15:41:28 +0200

Knut Petersen <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi everybody!
>
> Has anybody tried to use GUB in the WSL environment?

I am not sure this is a useful target when virtual Linux systems are
reasonably accessible.  If I remember correctly (but I am rather fuzzy
here, so verification would be sensible), Microsoft stuck with GPLv2
versions of most programs, meaning that the bootstrap environment may be
rather dated.  Of course, that would be beneficial for diagnosing
bootstrapping mishaps like the system Python use you figured out, but I
am not sure that this is otherwise fun.

For example, I think that current g++ versions are written in C++ rather
than C, making for quite different bootstrap requisites.

--
David Kastrup