libextractor

Re: [libextractor] Not showing meta information

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [libextractor] Not showing meta information
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 19:45:38 +0200

> $ which extract
> /usr/local/bin/extract
>
> $ /usr/local/bin/extract dmca.pdf
> Plugin `second' failed to load!
> Plugin `first' failed to load!
> Plugin `old' failed to load!
> Plugin `second' failed to load!
> Plugin `first' failed to load!
> Plugin `old' failed to load!
> Plugin `second' choked on this input
> Plugin `first' choked on this input
> Plugin `old' choked on this input

Now this is interesting.  LE tries to find the plugins in a directory (which
in your case should be /usr/local/lib/libextractor/).  Clearly what it finds
in your case is 'first', 'second', 'old' instead of the actual plugins -- and
that despite having set the PREFIX explicitly via environment variable. Do you
know which directory contains files with the names 'first/second/old'?  Or
even better, do you know why it might look there?  If you don't know, you can
run

$ strace extract dmca.pdf

and the output should show us where 'extract' is looking for the plugins.

> ============
>
> I probably should mention that I set a symlink from /usr/bin/extract to
> /usr/local/bin/extract that I can start it without path.

Uh uh, that'll confuse LE since one of the methods it tries to use to find the
plugins is the path to the current binary.  So first, I suggest you remove the
/usr/bin/extract link and update your PATH to include /usr/local/bin.

> Thanks a lot for your help! if you need more information I'll be glad to
> provide!

You're welcome, I'd just like to get to the bottom of this...

Best,

Christian