ifile-discuss

Re: [Ifile-discuss] Mailing List Filtering

From: jack
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 09:35:40 +0000

* clemens fischer <address@hidden> [030305 19:04]:
> address@hidden:
>
> > Well, it depends.  I do more or less this with ifile, and I don't
> > ever have to update any places at all - every time I add a new
> > folder, ifile begins to learn it and then procmail starts to filter
> > into it.
>
> then i misunderstood you.  can you please tell us again where
> messages enter, the entire pipe of things?

Messages enter and get processed by procmail, which does (essentially) two
things:

1. passes them to ifile, which classifies and adds a header

2. puts the message into folder FOLDER

Every night, a cron job scans through all folders and looks for messages
which have been put into the wrong folder (X-Ifile-Hint says FOLDER_1
but the email is in FOLDER_2).  It tells ifile to delete the message
from FOLDER_1 and add to FOLDER_2.  Thus, if FOLDER_2 is new, ifile
learns about a new category.

Once ifile knows enough about FOLDER_2 to correctly put emails into it,
it will start suggesting FOLDER_2 as a category for new emails, and so
procmail will immediately filter straight into FOLDER_2, even without
touching config files.  This "correction" when you add a new category is
quicker if you have a seed of messages to start the new folder with, but
it works either way.

cheers,
jack