ifile-discuss

Re: [Ifile-discuss] Mailing List Filtering

From: clemens fischer
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 19:17:21 +0100 (CET)

"William E. Kempf" <address@hidden>:

> Unfortunately, it's not working out that great.  Many of the lists are
> similar enough in content that ifile often miscategorizes my e-mail.  What
> I think would be ideal would be for ifile to put more emphasis on certain
> headers, such as List-Id, which list servers use to mark e-mail as coming
> from the list.  Of course spam is often filtered through these lists, so
> that particular category will need to take precedence over this.  Any
> chance of working something like this directly into ifile?

the first thing you'd need would be a standardized header to identify
mailinglists.  i found that depending on the ml-software used, you'd
have different headers or even none.  if you're running qmail, i can
send you an awk filter spliced into the queueing system which can do
that provided you keep at least the posting- addresses of your
mailinglists in a file.  this awk-script is easy to modify to make it
tag lists multiple times, resulting in higher precedence within ifile.

  clemens