ifile-discuss

Re: [Ifile-discuss] Mailing List Filtering

From: clemens fischer
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 19:34:57 +0100 (CET)

Jack Bertram <address@hidden>:

> I don't know of anything standard, but it's very easy using procmail to
> filter a message to a folder depending on the content of a header:  for
> example, just write a little Perl script which takes as input an email
> message, greps for List-ID: and returns a folder name based on the value
> of the header, then uses formail to insert this into your own custom
> X-My-Mbox-Header.  Then use a procmail recipe to put any successfully
> matching messages into the results of $MATCH.

this has one drawback:  your procmail/perl prefilter has to know the
folder names you are going to use, as does the MUA.  theres a spot
that can get out of sync:  each time you make or change folder names,
two places have to get updated.  it was better to use intermediate
names to get an abstraction layer, or, much simpler, use the mailing
list posting address in the standardized header, then have the MUA
just filter on this one header.

  clemens (who's been there  :)