ifile-discuss

Re: [Ifile-discuss] Mailing List Filtering

From: Jack Bertram
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 18:13:38 +0000

* William E. Kempf <address@hidden> [030305 16:24]:
> The other option is to use two systems, one that categorizes based on the
> headers such as List-Id and ifile solely for locating spam.  But for this
> I'd need a flexible system for list categorization. It can pick a default
> folder name based off of the headers, but I'd want some way to automate
> teaching the system to use a different folder, similar to what Jack
> Bertram has done with ifile
> (http://www.jbertram.net/projects/ifile/ifile.html).  This way I can read
> my e-mail with any client and teach it new ways to categorize mail simply
> by moving the mail from one folder to another.  I could code such a
> system, but before wasting a few days on this effort, I thought I'd also
> ask here to see if anyone knows of a solution like this that's already
> been invented.

I don't know of anything standard, but it's very easy using procmail to
filter a message to a folder depending on the content of a header:  for
example, just write a little Perl script which takes as input an email
message, greps for List-ID: and returns a folder name based on the value
of the header, then uses formail to insert this into your own custom
X-My-Mbox-Header.  Then use a procmail recipe to put any successfully
matching messages into the results of $MATCH.

:0 fBw
| /path/to/your-perl-script

:0:
$MATCH