ifile-discuss

Re: [Ifile-discuss] Mailing List Filtering

From: Jason Rennie
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 11:38:23 -0500

address@hidden said:
> What I think would be ideal would be for ifile to put more emphasis on
> certain headers, such as List-Id, which list servers use to mark
> e-mail as coming from the list.

If you know a particular feature that is especially useful, you could
pre-process your messages to make ifile pay more attention to it by
duplicating the feature.  If you're not stripping headers, just duplicate
the List-Id header.  If you are stripping headers (-h), put the list ID in
the body of the message many times (before the 50,000th character---ifile
stops reading at the 50,000th character)

address@hidden said:
> The other option is to use two systems, one that categorizes based on
> the headers such as List-Id and ifile solely for locating spam.  But
> for this I'd need a flexible system for list categorization.

If you use MH, slocal sounds like what you're looking for.  I filter out
mailing list messages via pattern matching (which I specify in my
.maildelivery file) and then let ifile handle everything else.  You should
also take a look at procmail.

Jason