ifile-discuss

Re: [Ifile-discuss] Adding a "plugin" parser to ifile

From: Karl Vogel
Subject: Re: [Ifile-discuss] Adding a "plugin" parser to ifile
Date: 6 Mar 2003 20:39:35 -0500

>> On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 08:36:52 -0800 (PST),
>> Booker Bense <address@hidden> said:

B> 95% of the time I'm finding ifile incredibly useful, the other 5% is
B> driving me crazy. Looking through 30 email folders for my wife's most
B> recent email is not improving my email experience. While I can fix this
B> in front of ifile, I think it would be generally useful to do it within
B> the structure of ifile. For example, if email is from my wife, just
B> return my wife's address, and ignore the rest of the content.

   Wouldn't something like an inverted index that understands the format of
   mail folders be better for searching?  Isn't ifile better suited to
   deciding where to store something?

   A search script doesn't have to be fiendishly complex;
   http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2003/02/19/engine.html
   is a nifty article about writing a vector-space search engine in Perl
   with the following useful features:

    * Searches take place in RAM, there is no disk or database access
    * Queries can be arbitrarily long
    * Users don't have to bother with Boolean logic or regular expressions
    * It's easy to do 'find similar' searches on returned documents
    * You can set up a 'saved results' basket, and do similarity
      searches on the documents in it

--
Karl Vogel                      I don't speak for the USAF or my company
address@hidden                          http://www.pobox.com/~vogelke

If men ruled the world #8: each year, your raise would be pegged to
the fortunes of the NFL team of your choice.