ifile-discuss

Re: [Ifile-discuss] Adding a "plugin" parser to ifile

From: Jason Rennie
Subject: Re: [Ifile-discuss] Adding a "plugin" parser to ifile
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 15:36:18 -0500

address@hidden said:
> - I've been messing about with various ifile options "-h -w -k"[1] and
> I'm coming to the conclusion that it would be quite useful to
> customize the parser for ifile. While you can do this in front of
> ifile, I think as a first pass it would be convient to provide a
> "subprocess parser".

Let me propose something here.  How about we break ifile into two parts:
the parsing/lexing part and the classifier.  To run ifile, you'd give the
message to the first program and pipe the output to the second program.
The first program could output one token per line.  Then the lexing part
of the classifier would be exceedingly simple.  Breaking it apart like
this would make it easier for people to experiment with different parsing/
lexing styles; it would even make it possible to write prototype parsers/
lexers in perl or some language that's easier to write.

Thoughts?

Jason