Re: Trying to compile Octave on RHEL 7.3

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Trying to compile Octave on RHEL 7.3
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2017 09:30:24 -0800

On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 22:54:12 -0800, Michael L. Metts wrote:
> Oh.  My log made it to you.  It bounced for someone.  I’ll dig some
> more tomorrow.  As far as I know, I have qt5 and no qt4 – I don’t
> really know them from a hole in the ground.  Below are rpm checks.
> Can qt4 and qt5 coexist?

Yes, there is no problem with having and using both Qt 4 and 5 on your
system. The problem is that Octave will prefer Qt 5, but there is no
qscintilla package built against Qt 5 for your OS, which explains why
you are getting the results you are.

I would recommend adding --with-qt=4 to your configure command.

I can't help with the arpack / atlas situation with EPEL, that seems
like a packaging bug, but if you can work around it and get it working,
go for it.

--
mike