Re: Trying to compile Octave on RHEL 7.3

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Trying to compile Octave on RHEL 7.3
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 21:55:02 -0800

On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 21:20:24 -0800, Michael L. Metts wrote:
> Thanks for getting back to me, Mike.  I'm definitely hoping to build
> and run Octave 4 and not the stuff that's in EPEL.  I understand that
> RHEL and Fedora have different bars (hurdles?) for what they will
> build and include ... although I can't understand why in this case
> since Octave 4 is more than a year old so it seems like it really
> should be in EPEL.

Yes but RHEL 7 is almost 3 years old. If you want a stable OS, that
implies that you won't get the latest versions of things.

> Yes, I am using whatever's in the hg repo.  Is that appropriate for
> what I'm doing?  What I'm doing, btw, is trying to get a clean stable
> Octave 4 running on RHEL 7.3 that doesn't have any broken features.

I would recommend that you try to get the latest released version
working, which is 4.2.1, from https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/.

> The ARPACK issue seems pretty bad to me.  Bad enough to not go
> forward.  The ARPACK and QScintilla issues have been frustrating since
> they're there but it can't find them or doesn't like them.
>
> Thanks for mentioning the log.  My software building skills are
> probably not that best.  I am motivated, though, we (at my firm)
> aren't that keen on the cost of Matlab.  I've used earlier versions of
> Octave on other platforms and really would like to get this going.  I
> appreciate the help.

Yes, check config.log, forward a compressed copy of the log file if you
need help finding the relevant details. There should be no problem with
the versions of arpack and qscintilla that you have installed.

--
mike