Re: Trying to compile Octave on RHEL 7.3

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Trying to compile Octave on RHEL 7.3
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 11:57:35 -0800

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 19:35:52 -0800, Michael L. Metts wrote:
> I've been attempting to build the current version of Octave on Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux 7.3 and I'm running into some issues.  First, let me say
> that if there's a YUM repo out there that's complete, maintained and
> suitable for RHEL 7, please let me know.  I would much rather that than
> compiling myself.  I realize that there a maintained repo for Fedora but I
> wasn't sure that was kosher - i.e. this is a production machine and I'd like
> to either have or build nothing but clean apps with no broken features.

The current version of Octave is 4.2.1, but it looks like you are
building the development version from hg, is that right?

The best supported add-on repositories for CentOS / RHEL are the EPEL
repositories, which it looks like you are already using. EPEL 7 contains
a maintained package for Octave 3.8.2.

> All that said, I've been following these instructions here
> http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Red_Hat_Linux_systems and I get these
> errors from running ./configure:

These are warnings, not errors, just to be precise. An error message
would prevent you from continuing, these warn you that something may be
disabled in the resulting build, but Octave will build and run.

> configure: WARNING: QScintilla library not found; disabling built-in Qt GUI
> editor
>
> configure: WARNING: Sundials IDA library not configured with IDAKLU, ode15i
> and ode15s will not support the sparse Jacobian feature
>
> configure: WARNING: ARPACK not found.  The eigs function will be disabled.

[…]

> In any case, I've poked around a little (see below) and I'm not real clear
> on how to fix these issues so I can get a clean build.  If anyone can give
> me a few thoughts on all this, I would really appreciate it.

You have both arpack-devel and qscintilla-devel installed, it's not
clear from what you've shown why the libraries are not found, but
config.log should give more details.

I can't help much with the sundials warning, version 2.7.0 should be new
enough, but again config.log should give more details about what failed
and why. It may be that the sundials package for EPEL / Fedora is not
compiled with KLU support turned on.

--
mike