Re: Woctave-another gui front end

From: Stephen Montgomery-Smith
Subject: Re: Woctave-another gui front end
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 21:38:34 -0600

On 12/19/2012 09:08 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> On 19 December 2012 21:34, Stephen Montgomery-Smith
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> However your point doesn't address my main point.  :-)
>
> Your main point gets rehashed all the time. Yes, we know Octave sucks
> and will forever suck unless it gets a GUI that runs on Windows and
> looks exactly like Matlab (do people really want the latest Matlab
> ribbon, though?) and our documentation sucks and you won't even use it
> because you're too busy to help fix it or use it.
>
> These are the latest developments that address some of the suckage:
>

> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/cross-compiling-Octave-for-MinGW-systems-td4646732.html
>     http://octave-gsoc2012.blogspot.ca/
>
> - Jordi G. H.

That second web site looks really cool.  They say they want people to
try it out, but I couldn't find a place to download it.  I would love to
try it out.

But as to your first point, why do you carp quite so much on people who
point out the lack of some feature, but don't have the time or abilities
to contribute?  Maybe those other people are engaged in other worthwhile
projects that are taking up their time, and maybe they even deal with
complaints about their projects, but don't immediately jump down the
other people's throats with "well, what have you done to help?"
Especially when those people are not actually whining, but just asking
or answering questions.