Re: Support

From: Stephen Montgomery-Smith
Subject: Re: Support
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 14:26:32 -0600

On 11/30/12 09:07, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 29 November 2012 21:39, Stephen Montgomery-Smith
<address@hidden> wrote:
(That is, personally I find matlab documentation much better than octave
documentation, and since octave is compatible with matlab, you may as
well use the matlab help pages.)

If you could help us improve Octave's documentation, that would be
appreciated. Just write or amend the text as you deem necessary, and I
can incorporate it into the Octave manual. For the Octave wiki, you
can edit it yourself.

I don't think it is a negative reflection on Octave that Matlab's documentation is better. I wasn't trying to make a snide comment at Octave's expense. All I was trying to do was to help this user find good information on how to use fft. And since the Matlab documentation is available for free, it makes sense to point the user to that page. And since Matlab has done such a fantastic job with their documentation, I don't see a need to reproduce what they have done.

There was also some advice that the user could look up the fftw documentation. I have looked at that documentation a lot, because I have used fftw in some C code I have written. It is very thorough, but it is not a good place for a casual user to find out how fft in Octave works.

I taught a class on Math modeling last semester. I told the students to code using Octave, but to use google as their manual. (And they were allowed to use Matlab if they had access to it, but the University of Missouri doesn't have a site license for Matlab.)