Re: Octave-3.4.0.dmg + XQuartz = broken Octave & Matlab

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave-3.4.0.dmg + XQuartz = broken Octave & Matlab
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 10:28:08 -0400

On 9 September 2012 09:50, Miriam Heller <address@hidden>
wrote:
> Isn't there a:
>
> Install Xcode 4.xx for dummies?
> Install Octave for dummies?
> Install gnuplot for dummies?

You're not a dummy. Don't exaggerate your own incompetence. If you
think you can handle concepts like logistic regression and artificial
neural networks from the machine learning class, you can handle
installing Octave with Fink.

On 9 September 2012 00:58, Miriam Heller <address@hidden>
wrote:
> What Terminal.app are they talking about? The only terminal I know
> about is the one I get if I type "terminal" in the Spotlight window.
> Yes I know I'm clueless.

You're not clueless. You just exhibited a clue. The terminal they mean
is the one you found.

> I thought I installed Xcode 4.4. What is that? Where is it? Where is
> it supposed to be?

Xcode is some Apple thing for compiling source code ("compiling" means
turning source code into programs your computer can run). You either
obtain it by agreeing to let Apple spy on you and control you
(download it from their website) or by installing it from your Apple
CDs (which I believe have different legalese). Please read the
following for a possible substitute, gcc, which is a free compiler,
which does not have restrictive legalese:

    http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X#XCode_Dependency

> The Fast Tract instructions go on:
> The actual input prompts from the shell may vary, and some chunks of the
> output have been omitted (...). [frodo:~] testuser% tar xzf
[snip]
> Huh? frodo? Help?

frodo is the username of the person who wrote that session. Yours
would probably say something like "mheller" or whatever your username
is. "The actual input prompts from the shell may vary..."

HTH (Hope this helps),

- Jordi G. H.