Re: Octave-3.4.0.dmg + XQuartz = broken Octave & Matlab

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Octave-3.4.0.dmg + XQuartz = broken Octave & Matlab
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 11:42:43 -0400

*** Please REPLY-ALL and respond at the bottom to allow those who arrive late
to follow along ***

On Sep 8, 2012, at 11:30 AM, Miriam Heller wrote:

> On 9/8/12 11:10 AM, "Ben Abbott" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 8, 2012, at 3:28 AM, avatarmh wrote:
>>
>>> Please help me! I also am in the Coursera course and would like to take it
>>> and learn. Unfortunately, I can't get Octave to work at all now. I know
>>> nothing about Mac OSX. I know how to double-click on dmg files and have them
>>> work. I don't understand anything anyone has suggested that involves more
>>> than that. Also, when I see ">" I don't know where they are. Finally, I
>>> don't know what bash, profile, etc. are. Please help me take this course,
>>> which is nothing without a plotting capability.
>>>
>>> First, I followed the original instructions, which entailed loading
>>> (double-clicking on the icons of) Octave and gnuplot. Octave worked. I put
>>> in an instruction at the prompt and it was interpreted.
>>>
>>> Then I tried the "plot" function. Like the two posts before me, nothing
>>> happened, then finally I got similar errors as my fellow students above.
>>>
>>> Next, someone put XQuartz up on the installation site and said that was what
>>> I needed. I loaded (double-clicked on) it. I reloaded Octave and gnuplot. I
>>> double-clicked on Octave in my applicaitons folder and now I get the
>>> following:
>>>
>>> --------------
>>> Last login: Sat Sep  8 03:20:27 on ttys000
>>> exec '/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave'
>>> Macintosh-34159e0b8e58:~ MiriamHeller$ exec
>>> '/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave'
>>> dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
>>> Referenced from:
>>> /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave-3.4.0
>>> Reason: image not found
>>> /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave: line 68:  1793
>>> Trace/BPT trap          OCTAVE_HOME="${OCTAVE_HOME}" PATH="${PATH}"
>>> DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="${DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH}" CC="${CC}" CXX="${CXX}"
>>> CFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" CPPFLAGS="${CPPFLAGS}" CXXFLAGS="${CXXFLAGS}"
>>> FFLAGS="${FFLAGS}" LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS}" DL_LDFLAGS="${DL_LDFLAGS}"
>>> SED="$SED" MAGICK_HOME="${ROOT}" FONTCONFIG_PATH="${ROOT}/etc/fonts"
>>> "${ROOT}/bin/octave-3.4.0" "$@"
>>>
>>> [Process completed]
>>> -----------------------------
>>>
>>> So now I can't even use MatLab.
>>>
>>> Please help me. I will officially be behind on Monday, when I won't have
>>> been able to go through the Octave Tutorial, Review Questions, and
>>> Programming Problem.
>>>
>>> I'd do anything if this could be interactive.
>>>
>>> Know that you'd have an enormously appreciative person, if you could help
>>> me. I've been at this over a week now.
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance in anticipation of you helping me.
>>
>> Miriam,
>>
>> Please avoid hijacking threads started by others.  You should start your own.
>> I've changed the subject to describe your problem.
>>
>> To start, please tell us your MacOS X version.
>>
>> It appears to me that you've broken your X11 by installing XQuartz.  To
>> verify
>>
>> (1) run /Applications/Utilities/Terminal
>> (2) At the command line type "xeyes"
>> (3) Tell us what happens
>>
>> Ben
>
> Dear Ben,
>
> Thank you infinitely for responding, starting a debug as well as a new
> thread (which I'd love to know how to find). Then I'd put this email in
> there.
>
> I think I ran what you suggested. I think the first command was meant to
> pull up a terminal window using. If not please let me know.
>
> This is what I got:
>
> Last login: Sat Sep  8 03:25:06 on ttys000
> Macintosh-34159e0b8e58:~ MiriamHeller$ run /Applications/Utilities/Terminal
> -bash: run: command not found

You are already running the Terminal

> Macintosh-34159e0b8e58:~ MiriamHeller$ xeyes

What happened when your entered "xeyes" ?

Ben