Re: Octave-3.4.0.dmg + XQuartz = broken Octave & Matlab

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Octave-3.4.0.dmg + XQuartz = broken Octave & Matlab
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 22:00:01 -0400

On Sep 8, 2012, at 9:34 PM, Miriam Heller wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

>> > Mac OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)
>>
>> Miriam,
>>
>> Please respond below (at the bottom of the email) to allow those who arrive
>> late to follow along.
>>
>> Our wiki has a section of MacOS X.  At the bottom of the page is a note
>> regarding the dmg you have installed.
>>
>>         http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X#Installing_a_MacOS_X_Bundle
>>
>> "Warning: Octave-Forge does have App bundles for old Octave, versions and
>> have problems running on MacOS 10.6 and above. The latest App bundle does
>> not provide full support for the printing, or the documentation features of
>> Octave. Other features may be missing as well. For individuals who'd like to
>> use it anyway please carefully follow the instructions for Installing MacOS
>> X Bundle."
>>
>> I recommend you place the following in the Trash ...
>>
>>         /Applications/Octave.app
>>         /Applications/Gnuplot.app
>>         /Applications/AquaTerm.app
>>
>> ... and install Octave using either Fink, MacPorts, or Homebrew (see the
>> link below).
>>
>>         http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X
>>
>> I have used both Fink and MacPorts to manage Applications.  In my experience
>> it is difficult to judge which package manager another individual would be
>> happiest with.  However, as Fink works nicely using its command line utility
>> and has a GUI (for those who prefer a GUI), I tend to recommend that those
>> who have never used to package manager before to start with Fink.
>>
>> Simplified instructions for installing Fink are at the link below.
>>
>>         http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X#Fink
>>
>> If you like the idea of the Fink GUI, you will find Fink Commander at the
>> link below.
>>
>>         http://finkcommander.sourceforge.net
>>
>> Ben
>>
> Ben,
>
> My political activities (I'm a neighborhood Team Leader) and my meeting with
> my Coursera Study Group are over. I am devoting the remainder of time I have
> (until the homework is due) to getting Octave to run.
>
> *** I hope this was not a bad move, but I upgraded my OS to Mac OSX to
> Version 10.8.1. ***
>
> Will your recommendation below, i.e.,
>
>   http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X
>
> using either Fink or MacPorts to manage Applications still work with this
> Version?
>
> Miriam

Miriam, when you reply please type your response at the bottom of the page.
This mail list uses the bottom posting standard.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_posting#Bottom-posting

The posting style you're using is called top-posting:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_posting#Top-posting

For historical reasons and because we've been using email and usenet since the
1970's, this mailing list generally dislikes top-posting.

Regarding Octave, I suggest you try Fink (for the reasons I mentioned above).

        http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/octave362

Notice, there is a version for MacOS 10.8

Bne