Re: is_complex_nd_array() ?

From: jjg
Subject: Re: is_complex_nd_array() ?
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 03:02:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Max,

OK, this is my last word on this -- I'm sorry if my previous posts
have read like a rant.

Max Brister wrote

> I don't think this is complete insanity. It's a minor mistake in
> naming at the worst.

So here we have a difference of view on the software engineering
importance of naming.  You think that a counter-intuitive name for
a fundamental part of your software is a minor mistake, I think that
it is a disaster.  We agree to disagree.

But ask yourself this.  How many oct-files in the wild implement
algorithms which apply to (real world) matrices and not to (real world)
n-dimensional arrays perform a check is_matrix() and so do not catch
arguments which are (real world) n-dimensional arrays but not
(real world) matrices.  This "minor mistake" is responsible for all of
that broken code.

> If you really feel so strongly about the issue (and want to work on a
> patch) you can bring it up on the octave-maintainers list.

This is not a technical issue but a sociological one, I don't think an
outsider suggesting a renaming of a fundamental low-level
component of a huge codebase like octave would be greeted
with much enthusiasm. It would require a huge effort and result
in not one functional change to the end user.   The only way that
that a mistake like this could be fixed is a concerted effort of all
of leaders of the project over several months.  Probably some
key devs would become cheesed off and leave as a result.

I will pass on this.

Best wishes

Jim