Re: 90-deg rotated tick mark labels

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: 90-deg rotated tick mark labels
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 21:16:34 -0400

On  4-Nov-2011, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

| I haven't tried the file. Its license is explicitly BSD. The file
| was written by a Matlab user, not by Mathworks. The website is a
| file exchange one, i.e. Matlab users contribute files. Pressing
| download button does _not_ cause any license acceptance dialog, and
| no user info is requested, i.e. the download begins immediately.

Have you read the terms of service for the file exchange?

Although content you obtain from the site may appear to be licensed
under a simple BSD license, the terms of service here:

  http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/disclaimer.html

include the clause

  All content contained in the MATLAB Central File Exchange may only
  be used with MathWorks products.

Even though the file exchange requires you to submit your code under
the terms of a BSD-style license, they are claiming this additional
restriction on it.  So I think we should be careful to obtain
permission from original authors if we would like to use code from the
file exchange with Octave.

Note that adding an extra restriction like this to BSD-licensed code
is possible because, unlike the GPL, the BSD license does not prevent
people who redistribute from placing additional restrictions on the
code.

jwe