Re: release 3.0.2

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Re: release 3.0.2
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 15:25:01 +0200

Am Dienstag, den 19.08.2008, 14:41 +0200 schrieb address@hidden:
> Quoting Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden>:
> > I do not think it is decent to make a release of whatever SW product if
> > it is known that built-in test suite fails.
>
> I got very early out of bed this morning, so I'm not in the best mood.
> So perhaps I'm over-reacting, but I don't think it's fair to call the
> release manager indecent due to a bug in a release.
>
> The process was:
>    1) Octave 3.0.2 was released.
>    2) A bug was found.
> And now you conclude that the release should be canceled? Bugs are
> found every day, and fixes are made every day. That doesn't mean
> releases should be made every day.

There's no point in cancelling the release. However, we are talking
about a bug exposed by the test suite, which is a different story than
just a random bug. The only question from my point of view is what is
less work:

a) A new release 3.0.3, just with this fix.[1]
b) Answering the bug reports users will send when "make check" reports
this bug.

[1] I don't believe in things like 3.0.2a, just take the next number
when you release a new version.

Thanks
        Thomas (tired as well)