Re: release 3.0.2

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: release 3.0.2
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 16:19:51 +0200

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]

Well, I guess there is no written standard here. We can certainly
discuss any part of the procedure.

> My expectations of a release procedure, as I wrote earlier, is that a
> release is not made while there are failures in built-in test suite.
>
> Standard
>
> ./configure
> make
> make check
>
> sequence should be run before any release.

Yes, I have done this. I think I must have overlooked this particular
failure, or just forgot to commit the single character change, because
I think the check was clear at least on my x86/Linux configuration.

> I.e. built-in test suite should cleanly run before a release; if it doesn't
> run cleanly, the release is not made/announced.

This is where we disagree. There might be failing tests which we don't
know how to fix, or there might be an ongoing dispute.

> If the release manager ran the sequence, and it showed no bugs, and other
> builders see some bugs, then there's something wrong either in other
> builders' setup or in release manager's setup or in tests.

Exactly. But what to do then?

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert