Re: release 3.0.2

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: release 3.0.2
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 15:24:03 +0200

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 2:25 PM, Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]

Well it happens a lot, doesn't it? I recall a bunch failures when I
first tried to compile Octave 3.0.1 with Intel C++. Admittedly, this
test will fail always, but I don't see this as a serious regression.

> It looks like the fix is really simple, so why not either to undo the
> release or to make 3.0.2.a ?

Most patches are simple to apply. I think this just comes down to the
question what problems should be considered serious enough to
unfreeze.

Currently, I think of these:

1. Build failures
2. Segfaults during make check.
3. Serious test failures during make check.
Preferably, this should all be carried out stable builders, who are
most likely to have everything configured correctly.

By "serious" test failure I mean something is detected that is bound
to cause problems. For instance, there have been tests in the suite
that were simply failing because the error threshold was set too low
for some configurations. That's not a serious test failure. I don't
see a typo in a test as a serious failure either.

So we seem to be in dispute over whether 3 should read "any test
failure...". I count your vote, but I still disagree. What do others
think?

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert