Re: alphabetical list of Octave functions

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: alphabetical list of Octave functions
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:08:17 +0200

> I was working on a project a couple of months ago where I was forced
> into using Matlab, and I experienced things just the opposite of what
> you've described. The graphics crashed (took all of Matlab with it) so
> often, that I got used to saving data on regular intervals, so I
> wouldn't loose too much work when (not if) Matlab would crash.

And although all the GUI stuff is probably vital for people not used
to CLI, I suspect that Mathworks guys are testing it only on heavy
quad core machines with nothing else running. I recall using Matlab at
school labs (under Windoze) - a few browser windows open,  Windows
Commander and just starting Matlab with all the GUI components took
ages, and the whole thing was irritatingly slow afterwards. I have an
even older computer at home (bought 6 years ago), and still I am able
to have an Octave window on a shortcut to use for quick calculations.
And even starting matlab with -nojvm -nodesktop on a remote server
takes almost twice as long as starting Octave (but perhaps all the
toolboxes need to be blamed for that). CLI support is defintely better
in Octave, and it's not just readline.