Re: alphabetical list of Octave functions

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: alphabetical list of Octave functions
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 21:06:39 +0200

tor, 12 06 2008 kl. 09:19 -0400, skrev Brian Kirklin:
> As long as there are advantages to using Matlab over Octave there will
> always be people who use Matlab. In particular, you rarely have to worry
> about bugs when working with Matlab, there are significant speed
> advantages due to JIT compiling, the graphics end doesn't crash, and
> everything is well documented, etc.

I was working on a project a couple of months ago where I was forced
into using Matlab, and I experienced things just the opposite of what
you've described. The graphics crashed (took all of Matlab with it) so
often, that I got used to saving data on regular intervals, so I
wouldn't loose too much work when (not if) Matlab would crash.

The language has weird bugs, that force me into writing hard-to-read
code. I couldn't even write things like
  a = rand (50);
  b = a (2:3, :) (:);
Instead I had to introduce a variable, like this
  a = rand (50);
  tmp = a (2:3, :);
  b = tmp (:);
How silly is that? Oh, and why do I have to end a for loop with an 'end'
instead of 'endfor'. That's just awful! Really, Matlab needs to improve
its Octave compatibility, because the current state of Matlab is just
sad. The only place where I envy Matlab users, is when it comes to
documentation. That do have quite good docs (but hey, it's online, so I
can use it as well).

Søren