Re: alphabetical list of Octave functions

From: Brian Kirklin
Subject: Re: alphabetical list of Octave functions
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 09:19:27 -0400

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 10/06/2008, gOS <address@hidden> wrote:
 simply because no one programming for my
 company should be using something that won't be present in Matlab.

If only it were that nobody in your company should be using Matlab. :-/

All this wasted effort on proprietary software for code that could
just as easily be made free, when we as a numeric community obviously
have the geekpower for it, and are already getting paid by employers
and academic institutions.

But I digress.

- Jordi G. H.

As long as there are advantages to using Matlab over Octave there will always be people who use Matlab. In particular, you rarely have to worry about bugs when working with Matlab, there are significant speed advantages due to JIT compiling, the graphics end doesn't crash, and everything is well documented, etc.

I love Octave, but its main advantage is that it is free, and for now it is still behind Matlab in a lot of the areas it needs to pick up on for a company to ever outright replace Matlab. That said, I will continue to use Octave because it is extremely powerful and useful, but its understandable that there are still Matlab users.