using vim as default editor in octave

From: Bobatapl
Subject: using vim as default editor in octave
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:19:34 -0700 (PDT)

I have been trying to set up vim as the default editor in octave-3.0.1-1.1 in
SuSE 10.2, and have tried the following both in my .octaverc and directly
from the octave command line:

edit editor "vim %s"

EDITOR  "vim"

EDITOR "vim -T xterm %s"

and all possible combinations of the above. Also the default terminal is
indeed 'xterm'.

echo $TERM
xterm

All the possible combinations generate the same error:
octave:1> edit new.m
Vim: Warning: Output is not to a terminal

I solved the problem by using gvim instead of vim, and all possible
combinations do work. gvim doesn't use TERM since it opens its own window.
When gvim is set as the deafult editor, 'edit gvim' immediately pops up a
new window for the file 'new.m' with the octave/GPL header and other stuff
in it.

In any case this behavior w.r.t. 'vim' is strange. Is this an octave error,
or (more likely) an operator error on my part?

Searching on just the error generates posts independent of octave, that
indicate TERM is improperly set, but that is not the case for me. Is TERM
not being passed properly to octave?

Bob