Build Help on Mac Intel

From: Shane Lee
Subject: Build Help on Mac Intel
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 15:41:15 -0400

Greetings,

I have a number of questions concerning my Mac OS X 10.4.8 builds. I
was able to successfully install and configure a precompiled binary
from HPC, but I would like to try ver. 2.9.9. Currently, I am running
2 machines:

PowerBook G4 1.33 GHz, 12", 768 MB, 80 GB, 10.4.8
Mac Pro 2.00 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB, 10.4.8

Both are running the most current version of XCode Tools.

On the PowerBook, I was able to run ./configure but only with the
--disable-readline option. I have readline-4.3 installed via Fink, so
it's in the /sw/bin folder. Upon trying to install readline-5.1 from
source, I ran into some difficulty there in the install phase. The
message said something about running ldconfig, which has me stuck.

Is there any way to point the ./configure script to /sw/bin to look
for and use readline?

If not, how do I go about getting readline installed properly,
especially getting over the final hump of the ldconfig problem?

Finally, are there any optimization techniques for building octave
from source on the Mac Intel?

Any advice on getting over the readline/ldconfig problem.

Sincerely,
Shane.

--------
For any other Mac OS X users, by the way, it's helpful to use the GNU
Octave command

gnuplot_binary = '/sw/bin/gnuplot'

if you are having trouble with the gnuplot that is broken due to an
accidental installation of AquaTerm ver. 1.0.1. This of course only
works if you have installed gnuplot through fink and have used the
default fink installation setup.
--------