Re: Build Help on Mac Intel

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Build Help on Mac Intel
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 18:36:56 -0400

On  4-Oct-2006, John B. Thoo wrote:

| On Oct 4, 2006, at 12:53 PM, Shane Lee wrote:
|
| > A quick update concerning my building woes.
| >
| > On the PowerBook G4, I was able to "successfully" run
| >
| > ./configure --disable-readline
| >
| > though it's not ideal, but running
| >
| > make
| >
| > yielded a long process that ended prematurely. The last bit of data
| > before it stopped was:
| >
| > /System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/
| > vecLib.framework/Versions/A/libBLAS.dylib(single
| > module) definition of _xerbla_
| > ld: Undefined symbols:
| > restFP
| > saveFP
| > /usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
| > make[2]: *** [liboctave.dylib] Error 1
| > make[1]: *** [liboctave] Error 2
| > make: *** [all] Error 2
| >
| > Any interpretation/suggestions would be mightily appreciated.
|
| Would typing "sudo make" help?  (Also, would typing "sudo ./configre"
| work without having to disable readline?)  I'm groping in the dark in
| the hope of hitting a light switch.

There shouldn't be anything in the configure script or even the entire
installation process of Octave that requires root, unless you want to
install files in a directory that only root can write too, and then
you only need to run make install as root, or change the permissions
on the destination directory so that you don't need to be root.

jwe