Re: Build Help on Mac Intel

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Build Help on Mac Intel
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 17:00:45 -0400

Joe Koski wrote:
on 10/4/06 1:41 PM, Shane Lee at address@hidden wrote:

Greetings,

I have a number of questions concerning my Mac OS X 10.4.8 builds. I
was able to successfully install and configure a precompiled binary
from HPC, but I would like to try ver. 2.9.9. Currently, I am running
2 machines:

PowerBook G4 1.33 GHz, 12", 768 MB, 80 GB, 10.4.8
Mac Pro 2.00 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB, 10.4.8

Both are running the most current version of XCode Tools.

On the PowerBook, I was able to run ./configure but only with the
--disable-readline option. I have readline-4.3 installed via Fink, so
it's in the /sw/bin folder. Upon trying to install readline-5.1 from
source, I ran into some difficulty there in the install phase. The
message said something about running ldconfig, which has me stuck.

Is there any way to point the ./configure script to /sw/bin to look
for and use readline?

If not, how do I go about getting readline installed properly,
especially getting over the final hump of the ldconfig problem?

Finally, are there any optimization techniques for building octave
from source on the Mac Intel?

Any advice on getting over the readline/ldconfig problem.

Sincerely,
Shane.

--------
For any other Mac OS X users, by the way, it's helpful to use the GNU
Octave command

gnuplot_binary = '/sw/bin/gnuplot'

if you are having trouble with the gnuplot that is broken due to an
accidental installation of AquaTerm ver. 1.0.1. This of course only
works if you have installed gnuplot through fink and have used the
default fink installation setup.
--------

Shane,

I have successfully built octave-2.9.9 on my G5 with OS X 10.4.8 and
Xcode-2.4 Developer tools. The build passes "make check" without problems.

To build I installed libreadline-5.1 (libreadline.a) in /usr/local and
temporarily renamed my Apple (it's bogus, not really libreadline)
libreadline symlink in /usr/lib so that configure couldn't find it.

Before building octave you should install the sparse matrix libraries from

  http://www.cise.ufl.edu/research/sparse/

if you want sparse matrix support in octave. There are seven interrelated
libraries that should be built and installed. ./configure will tell you
which ones you need.

Before configuring, try export LDFLAGS="-lSystem -lSystemStubs" to see if
that cures the missing saveFP and restFP symbols.

Good luck. You are probably the pioneer for octave-2.9.9 on an Intel Mac.

Joe