Re: Build Help on Mac Intel

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: Build Help on Mac Intel
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 16:38:29 -0600

on 10/4/06 4:14 PM, John B. Thoo at address@hidden wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2006, at 12:53 PM, Shane Lee wrote:
>
>> A quick update concerning my building woes.
>>
>> On the PowerBook G4, I was able to "successfully" run
>>
>> ./configure --disable-readline
>>
>> though it's not ideal, but running
>>
>> make
>>
>> yielded a long process that ended prematurely. The last bit of data
>> before it stopped was:
>>
>> /System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/
>> vecLib.framework/Versions/A/libBLAS.dylib(single
>> module) definition of _xerbla_
>> ld: Undefined symbols:
>> restFP
>> saveFP
>> /usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
>> make[2]: *** [liboctave.dylib] Error 1
>> make[1]: *** [liboctave] Error 2
>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>>
>> Any interpretation/suggestions would be mightily appreciated.
>
> Would typing "sudo make" help?  (Also, would typing "sudo ./configre"
> work without having to disable readline?)  I'm groping in the dark in
> the hope of hitting a light switch.
>
> ---John.

John,

On a Mac, sudo gives you temporary root privileges and I mostly use it for
"sudo make install" to get around logging in as root. Unless you are
attempting to build an application inside /usr/local, it would not be
useful. The best strategy to keep from shooting yourself in the foot is to
build all applications outside the /usr area, and then use sudo for the
install in to /usr/local, or wherever.

Incidentally, when I tried sudo on a Linux box a while back, it didn't seem
to work the same way as it does on a Mac. Maybe our Linux brethren can
enlighten us on this issue.

Joe