Re: Can I determine octave-forge version at octave prompt?

From: Keith Goodman
Subject: Re: Can I determine octave-forge version at octave prompt?
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 09:58:41 -0700

On 5/29/05, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
> This might help:  Try using "whos -all" then you will be in the "less"
> pager and can search.  Enter "-I [enter]" to turn off case sensitivity.
> Use "/" to begin a regex search.  I think that would have solved your
> problem in this case.  I don't know if there is a way to basically grep
> from the output of "whos -all".

"whos -all *OCTAVE*" only finds OCTAVE_FORGE_VERSION if you have
already used it (since it is a function not a built in variable).

If there where a function that dumped the help texts of all functions,
we could use that to make a lookfor function. It would help if we had
one line summaries of what the functions do. But there's no need to
wait for that since we can just print as much of the help text that
will fit on one line and append a ...

>> whos -all *OCTAVE*

*** built-in constants:

  Prot Name                Size                     Bytes  Class
  ==== ====                ====                     =====  =====
   rwd OCTAVE_HOME         1x10                        10  string
   rwd OCTAVE_VERSION      1x5                          5  string

Total is 15 elements using 15 bytes

>> OCTAVE_FORGE_VERSION
        ans = 20041116
>> whos -all *OCTAVE*

*** built-in constants:

  Prot Name                Size                     Bytes  Class
   rwd OCTAVE_HOME         1x10                        10  string
   rwd OCTAVE_VERSION      1x5                          5  string

Total is 15 elements using 15 bytes

*** currently compiled functions:

  Prot Name                      Size                     Bytes  Class
   rwd OCTAVE_FORGE_VERSION     -1x-1                         0
user-defined function

Total is 1 element using 0 bytes