Re: Can I determine octave-forge version at octave prompt?

From: Keith Goodman
Subject: Re: Can I determine octave-forge version at octave prompt?
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 16:18:58 -0700

On 5/29/05, Dmitri A. Sergatskov <address@hidden> wrote:
> Keith Goodman wrote:
>

> > It would look for keywords in the help text. Here's a description of
> > the Matlab version:
> >
> > http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/lookfor.html
> >

> That looks to me the same as "help -i"

I had forgotten about the -i. That's what I get for setting
suppress_verbose_help_message to true.

But help -i is not the same as lookfor. I tried "help -i eigenvectors"
and got back nothing even though the help text of eig contains the
word "eigenvector". Instead it said

help: sorry, `eigenvectors' is not indexed in the manual

And when something is indexed, "help -i inverse", for example, you get
a whole section of the manual that contains many functions without
"inverse" in the help text.

help -i is helpful but in some situations lookfor is more helpful
since it does an actual search of the help text.