Re: Can I determine octave-forge version at octave prompt?

From: avraham
Subject: Re: Can I determine octave-forge version at octave prompt?
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 20:15:49 +0300

On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 11:00:56AM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Sun, 29 May 2005, Keith Goodman wrote:

> >>OCTAVE_FORGE_VERSION
> >
> >Thank you. I wish we had a lookfor function.
>
> This might help:  Try using "whos -all" then you will be in the "less"
> pager and can search.  Enter "-I [enter]" to turn off case sensitivity.
> Use "/" to begin a regex search.  I think that would have solved your
> problem in this case.  I don't know if there is a way to basically grep
> from the output of "whos -all".
>
> Mike

Hi,
Very clever and very useful, although on my box it does not work
for the specific case (octave-2.1.64 on a debian testing box).

749/mnt/avraham/downloads> help OCTAVE_FORGE_VERSION
OCTAVE_FORGE_VERSION is the user-defined function from the file
/usr/share/octave/2.1.64/site/m/octave-forge/miscellaneous/OCTAVE_FORGE_VERSION.m

OCTAVE_FORGE_VERSION The release date of octave-forge, as integer YYYYMMDD

But, apparently on my box, if called before this command, the
output of whos does not contain the string FORGE. Only after
asking help OCTAVE_FORGE_VERSION, can whos -all to find
OCTAVE_FORGE_VERSION, as a user defined function...
Is that something that changed in the more recent versions, or
you also happened to find OCTAVE_FORGE_VERSION, using whos -all
only after unintentionally telling the system about it ?

You can find OCTAVE_FORGE at any stage with your trick by
using the command help instead of whos -all. Its disadvantage is
that, if the question is vague (say that you just ask the search for
forge, with case sensitivity off, as suggested) the search
function gives a lot of irelevant hits. But you do get the
sought-for function as well.
Cheers, Avraham