Re: WG: Tools for mathematical calculations and graphical output

From: Steve C. Thompson
Subject: Re: WG: Tools for mathematical calculations and graphical output
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:37:09 -0700

Martin,

Well, I don't speak German, but it looks like you are comparing Mathcad,
MATLAB, Mathematica, Derive, Axiom, and Octave.  I'm not familiar with
Derive or Axiom.

Concerning GNU Octave with your criteria:

>    Price
GNU Octave can be used free of charge.  If you find the software useful,
it is recommended that you donate money to the project.

>    Platform, Windows / Linux
GNU Octave, from what I understand, can be used on several platforms
including MS Windows and GNU/Linux; I use the later, and would argue
that GNU Octave can be used to its fullest potential on this platform.

>Input in a form or Input at a "line"
Not sure what this means.

> Usability of scripts..
Not sure what this means either.  GNU Octave is an interactive language.
Most work is done by writing ``m-file'' scripts, which, when ran at the
Octave command prompt, tell the program what to do.

> Format of graphical output (jpg, postscript..), 2D, 3D,
GNU Octave taps into the power of Gnuplot---a plotting program which can
export figures in all common file formats; and many less used (but
useful for the people who use them!) formats: see
http://www.gnuplot.info/docs/gnuplot.html#output

Some additional comments:

  (1) Please don't confuse ``freeware'' with free software.  To learn
  about free software, read http://www.gnu.org/.  GNU Octave is licensed
  under the General Public License (GPL), making it free as in freedom,
  not free as in price.  Octave can be used for free, but, as I said
  above, it is customary and helpful to donate funds to the project.

  The GPL is the basis of many other software projects, including the
  Debian GNU/Linux operating system, see http://www.debian.org/.

  (2) Please avoid sending attachments which are in proprietary file
  formats such as Microsoft PowerPoint.  This assumes that the receiver
  is using the same proprietary software that you are.  With the help of
  projects like OpenOffice.org, I can open and view your work.  However,
  this isn't a good solution since it still promotes the
  interoperability with secret file formats.  It is better to attach
  your presentation in a format that is known to the public, such as
  PDF. (Plain text if preferred, when possible.)

Good luck with your talk.

Steve