Re: save function

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: save function
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:30:22 -0500

On  9-Mar-2005, Francesco Potorti` <address@hidden> wrote:

| Apart from my personal habits, if it must really happen that -ascii
| behaviour is changed (I hope not), then please choose an equivalently
| short name, like -text or whatever, don't use -ascii-annotated.

Do you actually type -ascii?  After all, it is the default save
format (unless you start octave with the --traditional option, in
which case I would expect that you would prefer to have the compatible
-ascii output format anyway) and I'm not planning to change that.

In any case, I'm leaning toward renaming the current -ascii to be
-text and then implementing a mostly Matlab compatible -ascii output
format.  To ease the transition, we could first introduce -text as an
alias for -ascii and make -ascii print a warning saying that its
meaning will change in a future version to be compatible.  Then after
some reasonable amount of time, we can change the behavior of -ascii
to be Matlab compatible.

jwe