Re: save function

From: mavram
Subject: Re: save function
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 21:07:55 +0200

> The question is whether we should make -ascii behave in a compatible
> way.  As I see it, the answer is probably yes, because that is what
> people expect.  If we don't do this, we will just see more questions
> like the ones posted recently, because Octave offers a -ascii option
> but it doesn't do what Matlab users expect.
>
> | Frankly the matlab behaviour is brain-dead.
>
> No argument there.
>
> | If you want to introduce a matlab compatiable function as a monolithic
> | function then a new save type "-mat-ascii" in the same vain as
> | "-mat-binary" makes the most sense.
>
> If we are going to provide compatible behavior, I think it should use
> the same option name as is used by Matlab.  Otherwise, we will
> continue to see questions about why -ascii doesn't do the expected
> thing.
>
> jwe
>
> Hi,
My feeling is that most of the outcry about the behaviour of save
came from people using octave on windows. For most people on Unix-like
systems, with all the power of the shell at their finger-tips, the
different behaviour of save in octave vs matlab is either a
definite advantage or a minor annoyance.
I would suggest therefore, that, should a change be made, this be
applied only to the windows distributions. Unix users, could, if
interested, download the m-file and store it, under some other
name in the one of hte directories in which they store their own
scripts.
My two cents...
Avraham