Re: Cannot draw figures in Mac OS X

From: Vic Norton
Subject: Re: Cannot draw figures in Mac OS X
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:36:45 -0500

Well, my octave and gnuplot were both installed via DarwinPorts, and my X11 is standard Apple fare. They certainly don't communicate on my system (Mac OS X, 10.2.3).

My first question remains "how get '/opt/local/bin' into the X11 path". Apple says

   Getting X11 running on Mac OS X is easy. The installer sets up
   your environment with your path and DISPLAY.

Well great, Apple, but, unfortunately, your path isn't the one I want. Isn't there some sort of '~/.xbash-profile' where I can set my intial path?

But even when I do append '/opt/local/bin' to PATH in X11, octave and gnuplot can't communicate.

This whole X11 thing is a complete mess as far as I am concerned. Even trivial things don't work, e.g., I can copy from but I can't paste to an xterm window. Getting X11 running on Mac OS X may be easy, but, for this novice, it is absolutely worthless.

Sorry about this diatribe. I know, this is an octave list. I should probably be ranting on some Mac list, but I would like to use octave to graph something. I had no problems graphing with MatLab on a classic Mac. I expect I would have no problems graphing with MatLab on OS X. Maybe that is where I'll end up, but I would prefer to work with public domain software.

Regards,

Vic