Re: Cannot draw figures in Mac OS X

From: Henry F. Mollet
Subject: Re: Cannot draw figures in Mac OS X
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:26:00 -0800

On 2/19/04 6:33 AM, "A S Hodel" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I've been using octave on a mac for 6 years or more now.
> I'm currently running Octave on both G3 and G4 machines, some
> running Jaguar (10.2.x) and one running Panther (10.3.x).
> The basic machine configurations are:
>
> Jaguar:
> - fink install of octave, Xfree-86, gnuplot, and Aquaterm
>
> Panther:
> - Apple X11
> - fink install of octave, gnuplot, and Aquaterm -or-
> - CVS install of octave (requires a couple tweaks),
>   fink install of gnuplot and aquaterm.
>
> I'm able to use both Aquaterm and gnuplot on both OS's; my
> preference (due habits acquired due to using octave to mac OS X ) is
> gnuplot.
>
> I've not tried to install octave without gnuplot/X11.  That may be a
> part
> of the problem (others will have to speak to that).

Thanks. As much as I try, I always seem to be about 10 steps behind. Several
people pointed out that AquaTerm allows easy save as pdf or eps, whereas
this is more difficult in X11 (and probably Xfree-86?). I find this to be
very useful, because I can then use the saved pdf in a powerpoint and I
believe an eps will make it a lot easier if I later want to include a graph
for publication in a scientific journal. I can also have as many AquaTerm
windows as I wish, be it with "gset term aqua n" at the octave prompt or
within a script.

My question is what could I do with X11 or Xfree-86 (similar to X11) that I
cannot presently do with *octave* running in my terminal window using the
tcsh shell and using *AquaTerem via gnuplot called by octave* for my graphs.
What are the advantages of X11? So far I've only heard that it is more
difficult to print a pdf in X11.
Henry